Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Archery

For two years Josie B had her 15th Birthday planned out. She was going to go fishing and learn how to clean and cook a fish with her Uncle Jeff. Well OK then!! But of course those were the plans for South Carolina. When we moved here to DC I wasn't sure how to make it a reality. So I told her she had to think of plan B. And she came up with Archery. She wanted to spend the day learning and doing archery.

For starters I will point out that yes I am aware I have an odd little duckling for a daughter!! Fishing and Archery. To know her on a day to day basis you wouldn't think those activities were swirling around in her little noggin. Just goes to show you can never tell what your kids are thinking.

So once again I am in an area I don't know trying to find a place to let this kid do some archery for her birthday. I just had no luck finding anything near us that offered just a day pass for us to come as a family.

So Plan C!! We were going to buy her her own equipment and find an area to let her shoot away. Surprisingly enough the metro DC area isn't stocked up on huntin' supplies.

She settled for plan D which was mall, movie and Dave and Busters. Poor kid. But as a joke her Dad and I did get her the Nerf bow and arrow set and all of us regretted it for the whole week following her birthday. She wasn't stealthy about it she had no problem announcing we were about to get shot right before she did it.

And then a couple of weeks ago a Dad in the home school group announced he was trying to set up an archery class for our kiddos!! I e-mailed him immediately and said YES! sign us up.

So there we were yesterday at the army post Ft Belvoir which is only 20 miles away. Needless to say they weren't in any of the basic searches I was doing a couple of months ago. But I never would of thought to look at an army post!

I so love this picture because you know these two teenagers only hear the Charlie Brown teacher during their safety lecture!

Figuring out which bow they are most comfortable using.


Hannah chose the Legalos bow. Who needs technical terms when you're a nerd!?! ;) Both girls showing off their stellar form!!


I just had to show off the picture of Josie's release to point out those long elegant fingers of hers!!

Learning how to remove your arrows without elbowing or jabbing someone in the eye. The instructor was kind enough to relay some pretty graphic stories on how this could go wrong.


They didn't have any of these fliers to take home so I took a picture of it in case we want to just come back as a family. Oh but yes I was frusterated when I first found it because Josie B could have had the Plan B birthday she had been dreaming about for hours!!
.

The class goes on til May. We come every other Monday! I promise to only bore you with the highlights ;)

2 comments:

Wendy Who? said...

happy belated birthday, josie b!

kara...i love happy endings:}

i can only imagine the amount of bouncing you did when you heard about the archery class at ft belvoir! it looks like the girls are naturals.
when my mathew turned 18, we bought him a certificate for sky-diving...we didn't use it until he was nearly 20 (same conditions as 'finding the right place'). once he did the jump, i was thinking to myself, "this kid must've been a bird in his first life." it is such a pleasure to see children explore new adventures.
thanks for sharing!
-wendy

Lizzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.