Wednesday, May 23, 2007

How I survived Chicago! Part Zwie!

Erin was the one who woke me up so Jeff has to blame her!! Actually she was just up getting ready for work and I heard her. Jeff was under the silly impression that on vacation normal humans sleep in! Granted he forgot 7:30 his time is 8:30 my time. That is sleeping in! After a few minutes of me hovering over him asking 'What'cha doing Jeff?' he got up. We quickly refreshed our deodorant and out the door we went to have breakfast at this new cafe he had heard of. Once again I had not got into camera mode yet so this is a drive by picture a couple of days later.


Vella Cafe


I so wish I did take my camera because the outside is so plain but the inside was so bright and fresh. Loved it!! We got there a little to early so they only offer half their breakfast menu. Which was a bit of a bummer cause Jeff and I were in the mood for some creepies aka crepes! They had Nutella and Banana Creepies. How genius is that!?!!? After our depression that normally comes with creepie denial Jeff and I ordered. I got Orange Cream Cheese stuffed French Toast with fresh strawberries. I am not sure what all Jeff ordered I just know he got these ever so good 'Smashed Potatoes' we had to go and get me my own order they were that good!! It seemed easy squeezy. Parboil red potatoes. throw them in a skillet with some seasonings and just smash then with your spatula. Now don't go crazy stirring things up you are just going to flip those bad boys. They were so good!! I am making them for Jason :) I also got a muffin to take back to Jeff's it was Strawberry Rhubarb. YUM!!!

After buying the muffin it put me into bakery mode. Surely Chicago has a Bakery or two. So Jeff took me to this place. Now I am not going to lie. This place did not look promising on the inside. Sorry Jeff. But!! Jeff ordered this stuff called 'Butter Bread' which I would like to put in a customer request to these fine people. You need to rename that bread CRACK!! Oh my god!! I ate over half the loaf myself. I think in a span of two minutes. I don't know it was all a blur. Jeff and Erin had to hide in the closet to finish off the rest. I tell you what the shakes coming down off of that high were pretty intense. We went back Monday before I left so I could buy a couple of loaves to take home. But they were closed on Mondays. I saw a couple of other 'addicts' peering through the windows. Monday is probably the day they go to street corners and let people 'try' it. Dealers always give the first hit for free.
Alright so Jeff and I head back to his place and rest. And well actually I showered too. The city of Chicago was greatly appreciative. Then off we went with grocery list in hand.


This is a loverly produce place. So much better then Wal-Mart and/or the Piggly Wiggly ;) A awesome variety of fruits and veggies!! I was a good girl though. I bought strawberries, 2 mangoes and some bread. Of course this was the place that started me taking pics of all places I had been. Another time I wish I would of just taken the camera inside. Jeff forgot the potatoes but we moved on.

This nice little store belongs to a friend of Jeff and Erin's. I do believe her name is Tracy. She had a lovely display of wine. I asked her were the Boones Farm was and I guess she keeps it in the back with the expensive imports. We got some cheese here also. After this we walked across the street and got some Starbucks!!! So far the only familiar place that connects Chicago to the South. I did take a picture that made Jeff laugh but I kind of assume everyone knows what a Starbucks looks like. Oh yeah by the way the Dulce De Leche Frappucino is loverly!!! Back to shopping we go.......
But first lunch!!!
This place is so deceptive from the outside. Cause it is HUGE on the inside. We had the buffet which of course for me is gambling. Kind of no real way to tell what is hiding cow in it. Jeff was kind enough to poke things to see if it moo'ed. I survived :)



Next we were off to the fish mongers. Jeff had never been here before but a friend of his recommended it. We were here for tuna steaks!! Jeff had a kick butt menu planned. We found out steaks and Jeff talked to the guy behind the counter to confirm how thick he wanted the steaks. It was after the guy was weighing them that Jeff thought to look over at the price. Let's just say OUCH!!! But my brother was determined to spoil me so we got them and I was excited to see what he was going to do to them!
Yeah I about to be spoiled!!






Oh this is just a quick shot I took of myself to show everyone how well Jeff drives in the city area. I just reminded him how much I loved my children periodically, no pressure.
This place is a organic grocery store. Very cute inside. Jeff and I got some looks from all the skinny healthy humans. Of course we were shouting 'Where's the Little Debbie's?' Definitely not the place to swing by when you are out of Cheerios.


Now this is where it gets kind of embarassing. Jeff and I were done so we come back to his place and Erin is now home from work. Jeff gets started on dinner and I go on to tell Erin that Kara Coladas will make her into a new woman. But we need Coconut Rum. We discuss the possibility of driving but it was a gorgeous day so why not stroll to the store. Well I will tell you why!! Cause Kara just figured out this walking thing and it is tricksy!!! We got about 4 doors down and *BOOM* Kara hit pavement. Hard!!! Contrary to what Jeff would tell you if he was here I did not trip over air. I tripped over sidewalk :P Shifted sidewalk. I don't care what I tripped over all I know is it hurt. Out of sheer embarrassment alone I have never stood up so fast and walked back in my life. Just to let everyone know Erin was very motherly while my brother ran off to get the camera. Who loves me most? So as I lay propped up on their couch with band aids and ice bags everywhere they ran to the store.Yeah Jeff is finally cooking!!! I am so excited cause I am all about the portabello mushrooms!! Let's see if Jeff messes them up............So far so good!! Actually the bellos were awesome!!! He did a reall good job on the tuna steaks to. I enjoyed my whole meal and ate every single bite......and then some. We needed to double up on the bellos next time ;)We rounded out our evening with some of Erin and Jeff's friends. The weather was great so we sat outside and I got to enjoy some lovely Erin-tinis. I tried my best to convert Erin to Kara Coladas but she said they were to sweet. I only cried a little bit. This picture above is of Erin (far right ) and her other 'Maple Leafs' I am sitting outside unaware that Crazy Chicagoans are playing with my camera. I spare you all with the other crazy shots they took and leave you with the cutie patootie one.

The next day is all about me and Erin!! Stay tuned...........

5 comments:

Denise said...

Ok dear heart I'm waiting on pins and needles for the rest of your trip! I mean really you did this on purpose! Spreading it out over a couple of day will make people go crazy and you knew it! :) Love ya! Hugs, Denise

PS I finally figured out the comment thing! :)

Laurie and company said...

I feel like I was IN Chicago with you...loved the pic of you in the car and the expression on yo' face when you tripped on the "shifty sidewalk"...

You cannot keep us waiting! On with it!

Kelly Belly said...

I am ready for the rest. I want some mushroom thingies......YUMMY!!! So I am reading the blogs and now I want more. Purrddy please!!!!

Anonymous said...

Boones farm is kept next to the Mad Dog 20/20, Duh! The wine shop is reallly cute esp. the cheese section. There is a restraunt right across the street where Jeff and Erin took their favorite Sister (ME)

Anonymous said...

Sissy, did you finish the first bottle of rum and then started walking to get the second? It's OK you can tell me.