Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nice Day for a Black Wedding

So you find that you have been invited to a Dead Brides wedding!! And they have asked you to bring the wedding cake. What to do what to do!?! Well ne'er you fear Miss Kara is here to save the day!!

We first you start off with three cake mixes. Why three? Cause Cameron's class needs cupcakes too. Aren't you sweet? Last minute decision decide to do a three colored marble cake. Black which you do with a chocolate cake mix, orange and green with the yellow cake mixes. It's not hard. Three bowls all lined up dump mix, add eggs, oil and water. Yep you have quite the assembly line but it really wasn't hard. Beat batter with a 3 yr old standing next to you yellow mix, yellow mix, then chocolate mix. Didn't even need to change the beaters. Then stir in food coloring. 3 different spoons of course. Poor into cake pan and then let three yr old swirl with knife. I tell you what all bakery's need a three yr old on his handy dandy stool.




Then bake. While 3 yr old sits on his handy dandy stool watching intently. If you do not watch them bake it will not turn out right ;) Also for all concerned people out there the front of the oven doesn't get hot and he never once tried to open it.




Get ready to ice it with black icing. I did forget to photograph the moment I had to call Shay hoping she had extra black coloring cause I did not have enough. Or the picture of her hubby Shannon at my door with said coloring. You can skip that bit if you would like. Even though it is always a joy to talk to Shay and always a joy to see Shannon.


Get ready to decorate with sprinkles and plastic rats and spiders. No dead bride's cake is complete without them!!



Keep adorable 3 yr old away from cake!! Even though it really isn't a problem he won't touch icing. But the picture I tried to take was a bit funnier his nose could not of been more then half a inch away from the cake. A lesser Mother might of accidentally bumped the back of his head!! heehee But not this Mom!! She just fantasizes about such events!


At last minute think of two extra black roses that would look cool on top of cake and then VIOLA!!!


Realize you are THEE coolest Mom on the block ;)



Isn't the Dead Bride just a vision?



The girls are actually at their Girl Scout Halloween Party.



The troop and their leaders!



I know I know Hannah needs to learn how to brush her teeth!!! :)



Just a quick shot after the party to show you how cool the marbling turned out. I didn't tell anyone about it til I cut into the cake and the girls thought it was pretty cool.



Now what did we learn about this little adventure? Marble cake with three colors was easy!! But I will never work with all black icing again!! It was terrible! And even though it drives some people crazy I am planning next years cake :)

3 comments:

bekajune said...

I must ay - that cake looks absolutely repulsive! lol

Denise said...

Kara, You are by far the coolest!!!! I would have bought a cake and said there you go! LOL Anyway, I got a compliment from glen last night... I was in the yard snapping pictures of his kids coming out of the house all dressed up and he goes "Ok Kara!" I just laughed at him. I said and now you know why we get along so well! :)HUGS

ssmqrcd said...

That cake looked so nasty! Boy did it taste good though! I was thinking you'd save the top--freeze it and eat it next year for the one year anniversary! Geez!