Friday, July 20, 2007

Cameron ate a banana!!!

And I didn't take a picture!!
um, Kara, why would you take a picture of a 3 yr old eating a banana?


Most of you know that Cameron has Sensory Integration. Which I found a link if any of you want to take the time but it is a lot of reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_Integration_Dysfunction

To sum up Cameron's mouth is overly sensitive when it comes to textures and tastes and his self imposed diet is severely limited. I mean severely. He also has issues with his hands not getting dirty. With allot of therapy on my part we have worked through allot of his hands issues. We finger paint we play in the sand but we still do NOT like touching food. If it is dry like crackers or bread he is fine after that he won't touch it. Our biggest obstacle is if he won't touch it then he won't eat it.

For a long time he was fine with bananas as long as someone else held it for him. Over a year ago he decided no more bananas which broke my heart cause it was the only fruit and/or vegetable that he would eat. A few times in the past Cam has brought me a banana and I would eagerly open it and he would always turn away and say 'no'! So last night he brought me another banana and I always open them just in case and this time he ate it!!!! Why oh why did I not bring out the camera!?!? Oh well even I have my lapses.

I did take these pictures a couple of days ago!





I took the pictures cause he looked so cute with his little scrunched up face eating ice cream. The next day when I looked at them I realized how much they really show one of Cameron's sensory problems. He won't use his lips when he eats. He eats that ice cream with his teeth only. Which hurts my teeth just thinking about it. The few times he even eats from a spoon or fork he drags the food off with his teeth. And he just recently let us kiss him. Normally if you ask for a kiss he would just give you his cheek. Well now he will let me kiss him but I had to giggle when I realized he sucks his lips in first. Oh another thing that makes me laugh is he very rarely lets me smooch on him so when he does I always said thank you. Now he thinks you say thank you after you kiss. His first girlfriend is going to think he is weird. Well heck we knew that anyway ;)

Last shot of that evening. Do you see how much ice cream Cam has around his lips? That is actually very messy for him. And yes Hannah is quite the little brown bear!!!



I am off to buy more bananas just in case :)

4 comments:

Laurie and company said...

Goooooooooo Cameron!!

I love the no lips picture...what a talented fella!! Levi had his own set of sensory issues with eating so i hear ya!!

He looks a lot like Gabe in one of the more bottom-y pix...nice tans girls!! Coppertone girls!

ssmqrcd said...

Yeah, what a proud Momma moment for you sweetie!

Denise said...

Awww so cute! I'm so excited for you and Cameron. :) HUGS

Anonymous said...

Go Cameron!!! This is a great mildstone..I know you are a proud mama...and sisters look proud too!