Monday, February 4, 2008

One week later

Well it has been a whole week since my surgery!! I still hurt but I feel like I am healing quite well. Jason took me out in public for the first time ;) We only went less then a mile to the BX but it was enough for me!! I got alot of chocolate to make it all better!! And Bengay. Chocolate and Bengay can you think of a better duo?


Jason and I being goofy. Wanna Smooch?





I wanted to show you guys my scar. I still can't believe how great it looks! My doctor made it clear he was quite proud of his stitching ability and I can see why. He used a technique like a plastic surgeon. So the stitches are actually inside and they will just dissolve away. Cool eh? I didn't even think to ask how many I have.




Monday after the surgery was a rough day for me. Dr Highsmith found out some stuff while he was in there. I had told him that things had gotten considerably worse for me in the past few weeks. When he got in there he saw that my Herniated Disk had almost completely blocked off the nerves to my left arm. And it had actually shifted some of my other vertebrae so they were rubbing up against each other bone on bone. So he had to realign some of my vertebrae which I can tell you now when I came out of the anestesia I said a hearty 'OW!!' It will take some time to let my nerves heal and let my vertebrae get used to being where they are supposed to be. Oh and another doozy he found out is I am quite the bleeder! My Mother told Jason afterwards 'Oh yeah that is a hereditary thing.' That might of come in handy BEFORE the surgery Mom!! I didn't need a transfusion but they did get concerned there for a bit.


I don't come out of anastesia well. Never have. I am quite panicked. I saw others come out where it looked like a good long sleep. I come out with arms flailing. Oh no I am serious. But I came out and everything hurt. My back was the worst. They iced it down which helped alot. My neck of course hurt from the incision and my throat hurt from having a breathing tube down in it and the fact it had to be shifted to the side so he could get to the disk. With it swollen and hoarse even drinking water was so difficult. It is and odd feeling having your neck pretty much out of commision. They tried a neck brace but to be honest ALL of my chins didn't quite fit ;) Sorry but Jas would be proud of that comment. Anyway the brace was to big and it didn't help. I spent the rest of Monday getting over the side effects of anestesia. Nowhere near as much fun as the brocures said it would be. By Tuesday I was ready to go home. There is no way to get really comfortable and get a good sleep in a hospital. Tuesday was a rough day but no more then to be expected. It hurt to use my neck muscles. And guess what! You always use your neck muscles!! Wed through Fri just went so much better then expected. I still had aches and pains but I was sitting up and talking and eating somewhat well. My beautiful friend Brenda sent me a cookie bouquet! Oh wait we took a picture! Cameron thought this thing was GENIUS!! I held my throat pouting trying to figure out if I soaked one of those bad boys long enough in milk I might be able to eat it. But never you fear I got a couple of nibbles in!!

My friend Naomi also checked on me and brought me potted flowers that cried the minute they saw me cause even they knew their days were numbered! No pictures of them but I will try before their funeral. Naomi also brought me some goodies. Grapes that were not peeled but I have decided to forgive her anyway ;) I got cards from Naomi, Felisha and Julie. Thanks guys. They are hung in my living room!!

This past weekend my body reminded me I am still healing so it was kind of rough. Today I feel better and did venture out. Like I said I didn't last long but I am so over my couch!! I have been spending what time I can typing things out. I sit here for a bit but I wanted to post on my one week surger-a-versary!!

LOL even I know I am a nerd ;)

3 comments:

Laurie and company said...

Well, I'm so glad that you made it thru, you bleeder you...and that you are healing ever so nicely!
Love the surger-a-versary.
one day at a time!
Love ya!!

bekajune said...

It's so great to hear you are recovering well. I wish I could come visit you, but aside from the hassle of actually getting on the base, I am without a car right now. Anyways, sending you a big hug! ;)

Anonymous said...

OMG...yea mama we gott know stuff like that BEFORE...Too funny!! Glad your feeling better sweetie! It's taking EVERY INCH in me NOT to stop by and harrass you. Today Kyra was like can we go see Hannah's mommy???? Is she better yet?? But we did find our wonderful Shay!!! I love you girlie...let me know when your ready for your sponge bath!!LOL
F.FLoyd